My assessment of this UFO is that I am close to being done! I'm going to be perfectly honest - once the first quarter of the quilt assembly was revealed, I wasn't crazy about it.
I did continue making blocks slowly, when I needed something mindless to work on.
After all, I had strips of fabric pre-cut. (Here I will admit that I am very spoiled by Bonnie Hunter's easy instructions and use of the Easy Angle and Companion angle - in fact, I cut most of my blocks using those same tools.)
As I'm trying to prioritize my UFO projects for this year, I took a hard look at this and decided that I've had fun while it lasted so I played with some layouts, and came up with this:
It still needs a bit of work, but I love it so much better!
I'm going to move two of those 9" blocks to the bottom row, decide which blocks I want to do to fill the gaps, add a solid red inner border and the checkboard as an outer border and call it done! It will make a beautiful wall hanging or table topper and measure about 36" square. As Phil Robertson would say, I'm happy, happy, happy!
This block needs some peels appliqued to the corners:
I think I'll keep the melon block in the centre of the top row, keep the middle row as is, and after moving things around, I probably only have to make a couple of 3" (finished size) blocks, maybe a bit more of the flying geese, and some checkerboard.
I'm putting this on the February UFO list and hope to have it done in time for Valentine's Day! I wish I could go work on it right now, but I have a weekend of scrapbooking planned!