Monday, December 17, 2012

Sunday Stash Report on Monday, Week #50

I fell off the no-buying wagon the last two weeks, partly because I don't have many purples for my Easy Street quilt, and that is my main colour.
Of course, that meant I had to check the sale racks.  I only paid full price for the piece of "Oh, Deer" and the purple on the top from the Cuzco line.  Everything else was less than $8/metre!  And if you know Canada prices, that is an awesome deal.  The other two pieces were priced at $14.95/m and $13.95/m - at least I only got a fat quarter of each so it didn't hurt so bad.  Other than the two pinks at the top, I bought everything at my favourite quilt shop, Hamels. (PS: They have a great Christmas fabric sale on right now).
So at the end of it all, I got 1 metre of purples, and 6 metres of fun!
I also did a little online shopping and got this pattern (fabric from Hamels), along with Quiltmaker's Nov/Dec 2011 issue, which has Bonnie Hunter's pattern "Moth in a Window" (about half-way through the post) and a cute penguin quilt.  Construction Zone will be for my grandson, and I'm going to use those plaid shirts I got to make 2 Moth in a Window quilts for my sons-in-law for next Christmas.
Added since last report: 7 metres

Added Year to Date: 104.15 metres
But....thanks to Christmas sewing, I've had some impressive finishes in the last two weeks!
First up, this quilt is finished! Daisy is checking it out for comfort before I put the binding on.  It has a curved border, but is already packaged up for Christmas! I'll show the final picture after it is presented.
The backing is a sheet I bought at Wal-Mart - aren't those colours perfect?!  I've already counted the top and I'm not counting the backing, so all I have to count as used is the binding (.5 m).

I'm still struggling with free-motion quilting so it doesn't have as much detail as I would like, and my sewing machine didn't like it either. However, I discovered using a pre-printed panel makes it easy to "follow the lines".
I also made matching tab-style curtains with a removable blackout liner (3.5m, not including blackout liner - never counted in).  There is still a doll quilt to come this week, along with the two pillowcases I've already finished, which apparently I have never counted with the Christmas pillow cases (2 m).
I got the apron finished for Zoey.  It will be big, but she'll grow into it.  Santa is bringing her a play kitchen so she'll have fun with this. I was puzzled that I had fabric left over from the lining, but after it was done, I remembered I was going to put a ruffle on it!  Oh, well.  My new year's resolution is to make notes when I plan a project, instead of relying on my not-so-good memory.
I've also made some casserole hot pads from old Debbie Mumm vest panels, but no pics yet, they are wrapped as well (1.5m). 
I made some coasters as well.  These were on a panel as well, and I still have the top part to make wallhangings with - next year (0.3m)!
I still haven't figured out how or whether I should count those men's shirts in. I'm still de-boning them so I haven't determined how much fabric actually came out of them. 

Used since last report:  7.8 metres
Used year to Date: 98.3 metres
So my final number this week is in the negative, but I still have some things to finish before Christmas plus I have time after Christmas to do some of my own sewing.  My goal is to break even this year, and then next year I want to try and finish more, and keep my purchases down.  Maybe I need a rule to finish two projects before I can start a new one.

Net Used/Gained for 2012: 5.85 metres

1 comment:

  1. I swore I wasn't going to purchase fabric this year and then someone gave me a gift certificate to a quilt store. And, of course, one always spends more than the certificate.


Thank you for your comments! If you ask a question, I will reply here!