Sunday, January 27, 2019

More gifts!

I was so lucky to receive a bundle of scraps from another blogger, Elaine Therriault of Crazy Quilter on a Bike which got lost in the chaos of the recent postal strike for a few months, but they were worth the wait!


Beautiful shades of aqua - my favourite colour - this is pretty close to the actual colour of the fabrics, by the time the blocks got down it was getting late and the colours don't appear the same. 

I've decided to put them to use right away in a new project, and started a Baby Jane (based on the Jane Stickle quilt in the Bennington Museum, Vermont). I've had the book, Dear Jane, forever and I think a 2-colour quilt appeals to me the most. I don't know if I will do every block or triangle, so mine become an ode to Jane.

I picked 3 to start with, 2 easy ones, and one to test my piecing skills.


The first one is A-6, named Uncle Homer and was a very simple 9-patch variation:


The next was almost the same, with narrow outer edges of the 9-patch. It is B-13 Four Corner Press:


And the last, M-8 Mama's Maze:


This one has 33 pieces in a block that finishes at 4 1/2"! Mine actually came out a wee bit bigger, I think I took a scant more than a scant 1/4".  I'm using an 80-weight thread on top and in the bobbin to try and minimize any pressing issues. I had to think about how to put it together. I first started with the top row across, but quickly realized that wouldn't work for the centre. I ended up starting with the centre block and then adding the strips to the top and then the sides until I had a rectangle, and then added the top and bottom rows.

And speaking of gifts, I received another bundle from my friend, Kim. 


 This is the second batch I have received from her of this same fabric line. I would have received more but I convinced her she had enough to make a jelly roll quilt from her leftovers first. So she managed to get a queen-size quilt and a twin-size quilt, and still had leftovers! I think I need to go with her the next time she buys fabric for a project so she doesn't overbuy. This is also why I let her pick from my stash, she has given me so much (that green piece on the bottom is over 2 metres alone!)

Still working on the cleanup of my sewing room, but it sure is nice to be able to get some stuff done again.

Have a great week, 

Terri in BC

1 comment:

  1. You've made a good start on your Baby Jane. I made a lot of blocks for that quilt and bought enough fabric for it to make three or four of them, but so far, they are still blocks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! If you ask a question, I will reply here!