Saturday, January 5, 2019

Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2019



I'm joining something new (to me) this year! I love rainbow-themed quilting and have a number of scrappy projects on the go. I'm going to join the Rainbow Scrap Challenge hosted by soscrappy and make some progress on these UFOs this year.

From her page:
Each month I will announce a color.  Your job is to use your scraps to make something.  A block, a few blocks, a small project, an entire quilt.  The details are all us to you.  Hopefully, by the end of the year, you will have enough blocks for a quilt, or a finished project or two. 10 Colors for 2019 in no special order: red, orange, yellow, green, aqua, dark blue, light blue, purple, pink, brown or black.

These are the projects I'll be working on:

Crumb blocks - these use up my smallest bits and pieces:



I plan to use these to make a sewing machine cover using the original polyester dust cover as a pattern (and base). I'll have to take some measurements and plot how many more I need to make of each colour.

String blocks:


I have a few different projects on the go that need string blocks. This one was made for Bonnie Hunters' Zuckerwatte pattern, found in her first String Fling book. You can see all the quilts here - I have several on my to-do list. I'm going to do this in all the colours, in a variety of sizes ranging from 3 1/2" to  8 1/2" - if I don't have a quilt in mind quite yet for a particular colour, I'll make them in the largest size, because I can always cut them down. I use old telephone books as a base for sizing.


Boxy Stars:

Another Bonnie Hunter pattern - this one can be found on her Free Patterns page (she is such a generous lady):


I started this one simply to use up some of my many 2 1/2" strips.

Maverick Stars:

Another freebie from Bonnie, these are great for using up those little leftover triangles.


I'm going to do some with light backgrounds and others with the colour as the background. I think is going to be so much fun to look at when it is done. 

I know I have many more UFOS that could also fit into the Rainbow Challenge, but these four will make a good start and conceivable be finished this year as well!

I also found out how to backup my blog today! After six years of blogging, I would hate to lose it all. Here a screen shot of where to go in blogger from your design page (follow the yellow highlighter!) 


Linking up to the RSC2019 for the first time! If you are a first-time visitor, my name is Terri and I live on the beautiful West Coast of Canada, about 2 1/2 hours north of Seattle, WA. I still work full-time (about 4 years before my planned retirement), raised my 2 daughters as a single parent and now have 3 beautiful grandchildren that live on the same street as I do. My blog name reflects the fact that I am the queen of UFOs (50 at last count) and the "all-knowing goddess of everything" according to one of my friends - my mind is full of Useless Bits of Information (UBIs)! Looking forward to seeing what everybody else is up to!


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for all your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome! i'm on my 6th year of RSCing- and still have lots of scraps! glad to have you join and play!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! If you ask a question, I will reply here!