Sunday, January 19, 2014

Sunday Stash Report 2014, Week 3

 
In the fall, I finally joined a guild (Fraser Valley Modern Quilt Guild) and last week they had a destash event - apparently they do this every January!  I got sick over the Christmas break, so I didn't have a lot of time to destash, but I took a few things and brought home just a few more.

Big news, too!  We are having Happy Zombie (Monica Solorio-Snow) coming in April!  I'm planning on attending her workshop, plus we are going to have a shopping day in Vancouver with her!
 
I actually brought my additions home last week, but since it was still in the bag and unsorted, I didn't count it.  Now that it has been sorted, some washed and measured I can count it in. 

 
There were two pieces of about 3 metres each, perfect for backings:
 
 
I think I'm going to use the one on the left called "Cowpokes" as part of the backing of Celtic Solstice.
 
I'm going to use this panel to practice Free Motion Quilting, then donate it.
 
 
I even have that pink plaid in my stash for a binding!  I might cut the elephants off, and use them in a different project.
 
Then I picked up the pieces of someone else's UFO.
 
 
It's made up of 5 layers of fabric, which have a heavily-stitched design, then various layers are cut out creating a reverse applique.  I think it was abandoned because the last block doesn't look the same as the others, a line may have been missed.  I have a plan to finish it, and call it "One of these things is not like the others".
 
And I finished a flimsy this week:
 
 
This table topper is made from the leftovers from my Butler.  Including the white, it only used .65 of a metre, but all those little bits would normally have been thrown out, so I'm quite happy with it.
 
 
I'll use these fabrics to create a faux-piping (solid), binding (stripe) and the backing will be floral.  The stripe and backing are from Bonnie and Camille's Marmalade line, which coordinate beautifully with their Vintage Modern line that I used for my Butler.
 
I like using traditional patterns mixed with modern fabrics.  This is the pattern I used for my table topper:
 
 
From this pattern by Lori Smith.
 
 
It looks totally different with an on-point setting with plain blocks.  I'm going to make a template of the flower from the backing and either embroider it or FMQ it with a heavier thread. 
 
So, I'm not doing so good on my fabric diet this year, but so far, I have only spent $5 on my acquistions, so at less than 24c per metre, I'm okay with it!
 
 Added this Week: 11 metres

 Added Year to Date: 21.5 metres
 
 
Destashed this Week: 0.65 metres

 Destashed year to Date: 6.25 metres

 Added for 2014: 15.25 metres

Now I'm back to the Celtic Solstice grindstone, once that flimsy is finished, that'll knock these numbers back in the positive.

 
Happy Sewing!
 
Terri in BC

No comments:

Post a Comment