You'd think after raising 2 daughters on my own, I would have learned my lesson! My daughter dropped Alex off early Sunday morning, and silly me, stayed up way too late the night before so I laid down on the couch while Alex ate breakfast and promptly dozed off. I'm a fairly light sleeper so I woke up when I heard him moving around, only to discover this!
First, I heated up the applique with the iron and gently peeled back the top row. I had to pull the green leaf off as it had a small cut in it, and cut out a new one.
The background fabric had an off-set stripe pattern, which I was able to match up perfectly.
I sewed the long edge first with a 1/4" seam on the new piece, and trimmed off the old after sewing it, leaving a good size seam allowance on the short side.
I then measured and folded over the seam allowance on the short side, and after pressing, used it as a guide for sewing it.
I was left with one small odd-shaped section that butted up to the appliqued ribbon. I pressed it in the proper place and hand-stitched it down.
Done! And stripes matched perfectly. If it wasn't for the seam allowance, you wouldn't even know it was there and I didn't have to cut out all those little flower pieces again. And, my quilt has a story!