Tuesday, December 29, 2020

To-Do Tuesday - Week of Dec 29, 2020 to January 4, 2020

 Merry Christmas and very Happy (better) New Year! Let's all hope that we can put the dumpster fire of 2020 behind us, and that 2021 is the best it can be.

Depression raised its ugly head again, and although I was able to function somewhat normally for work and family relationships, my personal well-being took a hit. I was looking forward at the beginning of the year to have a dedicated crafting/sewing space again, but as much as I am happy with it, I was not motivated at all. I've had a quilt beside me to bind for months now, and have only managed to stitch 1 1/2 sides. 

Blogging has always helped me get motivated and accountable to myself, so here I go once again.

Here is this week's to-do list:

1. Box up, sort, purge and organize back room, in preparation for the installation of a mini-kitchen area. This has become a dumping area over the last nine months, and I can't use the excuse of no time anymore! (Keeping it real here!)

Fridge alcove and sink/counter area to the left.

Sink/counter area is now on the right - it won't be big but the sink will be big enough to clean paint brushes and the counter to make a coffee! The front area is only about 7 ft wide, enough for a small table perhaps.

This wall is opposite the counter area. It will mainly be overflow storage for projects and supplies. The garage door can be seen in the background.

2, Finish binding this damn quilt! It guilts me every day!


3. Use a past project UFO  to use as a Leader/Ender project for the week. I've picked On Ringo Lake, a mystery quilt from Bonnie Hunter. I am still on Step 2, and I'd like to complete it this week! 

It has been sitting like this for about a month now. It's not the best pic, it's a bit gloomy today, but you can see some finished units in the upper left hand corner of the board.

Bonus project: I bought a little footstool on Facebook Marketplace sometime ago (maybe a year?), and want to recover the top, make a new lining for the inside and the underside of the top and paint it for my sitting room. I love hand-sewing and embroidery, and it would be nice to keep my supplies handy. I would love to finish this project this week, but only if I get the decluttering done.
It is definitely home-made, but with some interesting details. I'll take of the old cover and pad the new top a little better, I suspect it only has layers of fabric as it isn't very soft as a footstool. I have a piece of fabric I created from selvedges that I think would make a great cover.

As much as that under-top pocket looks in good shape, it is a pretty loose weave and some of the stitching has let go. It's also grimy on the edges and a little musty, so I would like to replace it.

I'm joining the Tuesday To Do Linky Party over at Home Sewn by Us for the first time. I hope to keep it up this coming year as a motivation to move some of my UFOS along! 

The last few years, I have chosen a word to represent what I'd like to achieve for the year. Some past words have been Joy, Nurture, Focus. I'm considering what to use this year, using what I've learned this year. The impact of COVID-19 has changed so much this year, and I'm going to use my blog as a journal this coming year, with some reflections and changes I'm going to make moving forward.

As far as my family and I go, we have been fortunate not to suffer the effects of the disease itself, nor any of the economic suffering of others. We have been incredibly grateful for these blessings, and are doing our part following our government guidelines and wearing masks to protect others, so that maybe our community can reopen sooner rather than later. I hope you and yours remain safe. 

Until next time, 

Terri in BC


3 comments:

  1. Hi Terri! Welcome to the linky party and to To-Do Tuesday! Oh, the sewing mojo is a very precarious thing. It seems that anything can send it astray or to diminish completely. I have been fighting that battle all month - I'd like to be sewing like crazy while I have a few days off, but it's a struggle to even walk back there. {{Hugs}} And don't let that darn quilt make you feel guilty! No way! Maybe now that the major holiday is behind you, you won't mind sitting beneath a nice warm quilt?! That's what I live for when there's a binding needing to be worked on - too bad I'm not closer or I'd finish that puppy for you! I look forward to getting to know you better and to seeing just one checkmark next week. You'll feel better if you get one, and if not - oh well. Nothing happens if we don't complete a list since it's just a suggestion. Happy New Year to you and your family. Thanks for linking up. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. That little kitchen nook will be so handy for you! The binding will get done when it gets done. Lovely quilt, though -- I'm sure it will feel good to be able to use it finally!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dedicated sewing room will be a little heaven when it will be all set up. A peaceful room to breath. This little footstool is cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! If you ask a question, I will reply here!