Of course, I waited to the last minute to finish my bag. Up until last night, all I had done was cut my outer fabric.
And, of course, I didn't stick to the pattern - I wanted a bag big enough to hold a magazine (namely, Vignette by Leanne Beasley) and all the materials for my embroidery project (currently Vignette in Stitches out of the same magazine).
Well, so much for that idea! I forgot I should have designed the bag to accomodate the size of opening I needed (and to account for the amount of bulk the fusible fleece adds).
So far so good, until I went to open the zippers!
It's hard to tell, but the top two open from the left, the bottom grey one from the right!
Everything else went great, from the inside pockets,
to fitting my embroidery hoop perfectly,
and I even had success with "organic" quilting lines (although I found it a lot harder to make wavy lines - I really had to force myself not to be straight - go figure, any other time they'd be wonky!)
So overall, I love the bag - it would have been better if I could fit my magazine in it, but it will fit smaller patterns fine. My bag ended up being 9 1/2" tall by 11 1/2" wide - perfect to carry my large pieced blocks to embroider. The largest one measures 36 1/2"x 36 1/2", the next largest is 36 1/2" x 18 1/2"; I won't have to squish them up.
Here's one prepped for embroidery!
Thanks to Debbie, my neighbour to the south in Seattle, for finally getting me off my butt and doing this bag I've planned since I first saw the tutorial last summer. I'm linking up to the Flickr group at http://www.flickr.com/groups/triplezippouch/ - you'll want to check out all the pouches - there is almost 200 to see!