Friday, December 27, 2019

Planning a new craft room in 2020

 2020 is going to be a big year for me, crafting-wise! I am expanding my craft/sewing space from 144 sq ft to 400 sq ft. sometime during the year (some renos have to be done first) and I have big plans!


Currently my little sewing (bed)room is in a state with the aftermath of Christmas. I just put out all the cardboard and recycling that accumulated during the season, and can at least see some floor space.

Here it is in all its glory...


I can now get to the sewing machine...



but not the closet...



nor my ironing board! 

But that is not all. Sewing and quilting is my favourite craft, but I have dabbled in a lot of other things. I've been a scrapbooker for 20 years, and ran it as a business for many years. That has slowed down as my career as a mortgage broker took off, but I still meet with some of my friends regularly. Right now, I don't have a lot of space for that, so some corners of my living/dining room have been used for storing the various bags and supplies needed for that.


The cabinet under the counter is full of scrapbooking supplies. 


This cabinet is full of photos, and I try to hide my bags behind my chair.


And behind my sofa is all my stock for sale. 

How did it get like this? Well, I used to have the whole 2000 sq. ft., 4-bedroom house to myself after my kids moved out, and I originally planned to downsize. My oldest daughter and son-in-law originally suggested a swap of their townhouse, but it had a lot of stairs which I didn't want. Then we decided that sharing this house could work, and we split the upstairs and downstairs (it's a split level entry with a fully developed lower level). I kept the upstairs with the living room and full kitchen but that left me with only a bedroom for all my crafts and sewing, and not much room to store everything.

Now we are going to swap because my son-in-law does the majority of the cooking, and I don't entertain much except for when I get together with friends to sew or scrapbook, and I would like the space downstairs.

My inspiration:



I discovered JenniferMaker.com, and her craft room is virtually the same size as the main room in my new space. Her colours appeal to me and I have many of the IKEA pieces already! 

To-do list:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! If you ask a question, I will reply here!