Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Happy First Day of Summer!

 It doesn't feel like it yet, but today is the first day of summer. The morning started with some sun, but just like it has for the last 8 months, it slowly moved to rain. I don't want to jink it, but maybe, just maybe the sun will come out on Thursday when the kids are finished school, and stick around for a bit!


The downside of the hot weather means that we will be on flood watch once again. Last November, we had terrible flooding in our area - so much so that my city became an island cut off from the outside world for a full week, and limited access for three weeks after. I worked from home for that whole period of time.


This is my route facing east towards home - and that is Highway #1, the Trans-Canada Highway running down the middle. They don't expect this area to flood again, but there are other areas that are in jeopardy. Needless to say, I will be bringing my computer home this weekend just in case.

Last Saturday I went to Quilt Canada, which was being held in Vancouver, about an hour away. I can't let it get this close without going, but I must say, I was somewhat disappointed. Probably because of the pandemic, I felt that it didn't have nearly as many entries, nor as many vendors as the one I attended four years ago. I'm still up in the air about the Best of Show winner. It was beautiful, but really pushes the boundaries of what I "think" a quilt is. You can see it and all the winners at Canadian Quilters.com


It is exquisite in its detail, and the border and the centre medallion had cutouts (it looked like Indian glass (Shisha) embroidery at first), with beading added. There were also very large beads like cabachons added with embroidery. It really was a toss-up for me whether this was an embroidery piece or a quilt piece, hence my hesitancy as to whether to consider it as Best in Show at a quilt show.

My favourite piece didn't win anything, It was called Dear Humans, but for some reason I didn't take a picture of it. Hopefully, I'll find it soon and post it. 

Now I'm off to sew for a bit!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! If you ask a question, I will reply here!