Sunday, June 2, 2019

Some finishes

I've been neglecting to update my blog, so I'm going to catch up with a few of my recent finishes. For Christmas, I made 3 I-Spy quilts: 1 each for my last grand-niece and grand-nephew, and 1 for a special little girl adopted by a very lovely couple - they had waiting for a long time to become a family!




Although they have a lot of the same blocks, each one is a little different. I try to take the kids personality into consideration, so for example, there is a ballet dancer in one because my grandniece is taking dance lessons. Each one has a block that has the first letter of their name - it was interesting keeping the girls' quilts straight because both their names start with E.

I keep forgetting to take pictures of the finished product, and I've already gifted these so the before-binding pictures will have to do!

This next quilt has an interesting story:


My good friend and co-worker gave me a bag of fabric that she was clearing out. Most of it wasn't suitable for quilting, so the larger pieces got donated, but in amongst the pieces I found 15 log-cabin blocks already completed, and the scrap fabric. I asked her about it, and it turned out some the fabric came from her deceased mother's stash. She didn't want the blocks back as she is not a quilter so I made one more block, assembled the quilt and surprised her for Christmas. I called the quilt "A Hug from Mom" and she was overwhelmed. It is a true scrappy quilt, and Cathy remembered some of the pieces as being from her dad's shirts, some curtains, even old sheets. The blocks were all different sizes but I was able to square them down to about 14" each, and the quilt finished at about 55". It is not 100% cotton and one fabric has a really loose weave, so I'm not sure how well it will wear, but it was probably the most well-received quilt I have had the honour to finish. 





1 comment:

Thank you for your comments! If you ask a question, I will reply here!