Sunday, January 4, 2015

The Project of Doom - a Harry Potter quilt!

Starting January 7, 2015!
 
 
 
I'm a huge bookworm, and have been all my life. By the time I was eight, I had read every book in the children's section of the base library (I'm a military brat). You can bet the Harry Potter series would have been my favourite back then, and I still enjoy re-reading it now. As a family, we discovered HP when the second book was launched. My daughters and I actually stood in line at midnight for the release of the last two books, and I bought 3 copies, one for each of us so we could all read at the same time! 
 
 
 
My grandson Alex is almost (but not quite) old enough to start reading the books. He has loved being reading to since he was a baby, and is now reading chapter books on his own (although he still loves being read to).  He turns seven in September, so I figure by Christmas of this year, he'll be old enough to understand the fantasy world of Harry Potter.  It would be so fun if I could give him a quilt along with the first book. I plan on reading it with him and we could cuddle under the quilt.
 
The original Project of Doom was presented in 2011 by the designer, Jennifer Olenstein, and is foundation paper-pieced.  I love making blocks like this, mainly for the accuracy and I've wanted to do this quilt for a while now.
 
I had even made a smaller block in the summer in the hopes I would get inspired to start, but now Jennifer has recently announced a sew-along for those who missed it the first time around. I've joined her Project of Doom group on Facebook and excitement has been building.
 
 
My first part of a future block
 
I saw some examples with black backgrounds so I decided to try this gifted piece of fabric to see how it would look.
 
 
The Monster Book of Monsters by Eva Willet
 
Some people have been working on the blocks before the sew-along was announced, and the group is filled with so many variations and adaptations. I love the fake fur on the Monster book - definitely something I want to copy.
 
Others have added to the bookcase border, things on top, on the sides and even "feet" on the bookcase.
 
 
Dobby by Peggy Gonzales
 
Peggy printed Dobby on a piece of fabric and added him to the side of her bookcase. She has been kind enough to share the file through the Facebook group, I encourage you to join the fun!
 
I've been struggling what I'm going to use for the background (which forms the back of the bookcase. The original was done with a light brown/beige fabric, which was in keeping with the idea of a wooden bookcase, but I have been really struck by the way most of the objects stand out against a black background.  Since I have resolved to try and use my stash as much as possible, and inspired by the block I made in the summer, I finally decided on a blue-black mottled fabric, with two different gold prints.  I have enough between the two, so if I carefully plan my blocks, I can use the same print for an entire row of blocks and make it look like each row has been "wall-papered" differently.
 
 
Both fabrics together.  I'll use the starry one when I need more contrast for some of the darker blocks (hat, glasses, caldron) and the horoscope one for lighter blocks or smaller chunks of background.
 
 
 
 
The closeups show the mottled effect of the background - that should help with those darker blocks.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! If you ask a question, I will reply here!