Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Stash Report, Week 52 - Year-end wrap up!

It's been a whirlwind of sewing and shopping this month, delayed by many hospital visits.  My brother-in-law finally got his triple-bypass surgery on December 11th, 3 weeks after his initial heart attack.  He was home in 4 days, but of course it will take a long time for his extra-thick breastbone to heal (but like the doctor said, "I have a bigger saw!").  Unfortunately, he caught a cold and is having to try not to cough.
 
He did enjoy visits from his newest grandchild, Lexi, finally a girl for my sister's family after 4 grandsons:
 
 
My sister, her husband and I are very close. Having been on my own for almost 30 years now, I have often had to call on Sanford to help me with things that are too heavy or difficult on my own.  Of course, I reciprocate when I can, like hosting the whole family for six months while their home was being rebuilt after a house fire.  His friends joke that I am his second wife - poor guy!  I love him dearly, and I'm so grateful that he got through the surgery with flying colours.
 
On to my stash report:
 
Added since my last report: 2.6 metres
Added Year to Date: 72.7 metres  
 
Destashed since my last report: 16 metres

 Destashed year to Date: 69.9 metres
 
Added for 2014: 2.8 metres

 Total spent  YTD $380.19= $5.27/metre
 
I would say that is about as close to break-even as I am ever going to get!  And I didn't break the bank either.
 
I added 2.6 metres to use in my Grand Illusion quilt.  I had to get my yellow constant, and some blue since I'm using pastels instead of neutrals, as I have pretty used up my stash of those and I had some coordinating pastels in the line of fabric I chose to use for the mystery quilt.  I didn't take a picture of the fabric, but you can see it in these units.

 
 This is pretty much all the blocks I have done so far.  This December was just not conducive to elective sewing this year.  I hope to make more progress in January!
 
 
I made a grand total of 6 pillowcases this year, but I've already had to remake one, thanks to my dog, Daisy. 

She ate a quarter-size hole in Zoey's to get at the chocolate inside (she's fine!).
 
 I made 10 infinity scarves in various colours, 3 for my daughter's birthday and 7 for extra gifts at Christmas. Each one is made from a 20"x30" or 20"x40" piece of minkee, mostly scraps leftover from quilt backings.  It worked out to 4 metres removed from the stash! I even took photos to do a tutorial, which I hope to have posted this weekend.
 
 
Christmas PJ's for the kids was good for another 5 metres out.

 
 
And at the last minute, I also made tag blankets for the babies, for another metre out.  16 metres total out, not bad for a busy month.
 
 
 
And my newest obsession for my scraps and crumbs are Bonnie Hunter's Wild 'n Goosey block.  You can find the instructions in the May/June 2013 issue of Quiltmaker magazine . Those adorable corner blocks are only 3 1/2" square!
 
Check out Patchwork Times for more stash reports - I love watching people's progress.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! If you ask a question, I will reply here!