Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A little late to the party, but I made good progress this week!

Even though I'm late joining Bonnie's linky-thingie, I'm pleased with my progress on my Orca Bay mystery quilt.  I had 4 days off with Christmas and Boxing Day, and I managed to get some sewing in every single day, plus this evening after work.  I only completed one block for Step 6:


Each week, I do at least one unit of the step so I can check for mistakes.  I really couldn't do more on this step, because I still had to finish Step 1, but I got that done on Saturday:


All 224 plus about 10 extra - I didn't think I cut that many extra!

Then I was able to sew up the rows for Step One's block.  First I cut the 56 red blocks and assembled the middle row, chain-piecing all the way:



I didn't get much done on Christmas Day, because I got to spend the day with these little sweeties. 



Zoey is now sitting up on her own, so she was able to enjoy her new toys!  Big cousin Alex loved showing her what to do with them - he is so good with her.  We only got to spend the morning with him and his parents, though.  They left at noon to head to New Zealand for two weeks, to visit his other grandparents.  I miss him already, as I get to see him almost every day.


On Monday, I worked more on Step 6.  First I did the rows ofwith the dark 2 1/2" squares:


And thought I had finished all the ones with the neutral squares, but knew something was wrong because I had a bunch of QTS's left over.  It was time to leave the house to go to a friend's for Boxing Day dinner, so I couldn't look to see where I went wrong.


I had almost all day yesterday to sew - adding up to about 12 hours of time in my sewing room.  There are advantages to being single and having grown children! 
I put aside Step 6 for a bit, and worked on finishing up Step 2. 


Alex had helped me take off the paper on the first batch on Saturday, and I got the remaining 36 finished yesterday.  I also created a lovely pile of clippings I'm going to turn into some crumb blocks, then I'll toss the rest.


Once I figured out I didn't cut enough neutral squares (whoops!), I finished the last of the rows for Step 6 and put them aside for pressing. Before I press the piles, I decided to work on Step 3, and press those at the same time.  Tonight I started sewing together my first 185 pairs of tiny triangles, and then I cut out the remaining 165 pairs, plus a good stack of dark triangles so I can work on Step 5.  Maybe I'll be caught up by this coming weekend, if Step 7 isn't too onerous!

So, my recap is:
Step 1 - complete
Step 2 - complete
Step 3 - 185 pairs sewn, 165 to go
Step 4 - 14 triangles done, 114 to go
Step 5 - 12 done, 338 to go
Step 6 - 1 block done, 165 rows sewn.  Need to be pressed and assembled.

Not too shabby, if I do say so myself!

2 comments:

  1. Terri, you are doing a great job of keeping up. I on the other hand am so far behind. I am hoping that after the new year I will be able to focus on this quilt more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not too shabby at all! I find it a amazing how I see fabrics the same as mine pictured on blogs on the other side of the world! On one of your bluey string blocks you have a fabric there with circles, a bit like mini marine compass', I have used that fabric in my granddaughters quilt!
    What a fabulous time with the wee ones. They are coming to my home....New Zealand, that is :-)

    ReplyDelete