Monday, November 21, 2011

2011 Mystery Quilt - Part one- a whale of a project!

Just over a year ago, when I discovered quilting blogs I was drawn to Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville.com as I needed to do something with my stash/scraps. Shortly after I started reading her blog, she launched her 2010 Mystery quilt, Roll, Roll Cotton Boll.  Not knowing much about her and her scrappy quilts, I wasn't convinced that a mystery quilt could look good.  Boy, was I wrong!

This year's mystery quilt, Orca Bay sounds like it's going to be a beauty and I'm in with bells on!  I couldn't wait to get home on Friday after work to get started on Part One, 224 quarter-square triangles that finish at 2" each.  I wasn't able to get them all done because we had an early family Christmas gathering on Saturday and Sunday was a project-finishing day (more later), but here is what I've accomplished so far:


37 finished Quarter-Square Triangles (also known as Hour-Glass Units)


Pretty maids all in a row!



Fifty or so more quarter-square triangles ready for sewing.


I use my design boards (made using this tutorial from Lori Holt of Bee in My Bonnet) to have everything lined up nice and neat, but sometimes it still fails!

FAIL!

Whoops.  Although Bonnie was very clear to make sure to have all the triangles neutral side up, I still managed to flip two of them.



Good thing I have Bonnie right by my side!



And just for you, Bonnie (in case you are reading), I'm even using some Jinny Beyer milleninum fabric!!  Thanks for the great inspiration you provide.


5 comments:

  1. See if you cut it up small enough then you don't even know it Millennium fabric! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great start Terri. Did you link your post to Bonnie's yesterday ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your progress so far. I'm only making half quantities of units, but have them all sewn, just waiting for trimming :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look beautiful, the more I see of the blacks and neutrals, the more I like them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, I am getting very excited, I can't even start as I am waiting for my rulers!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! If you ask a question, I will reply here!