Tuesday, November 16, 2010

What got me back on the sewing/crafting track

A few weeks ago, I rediscovered my love of sewing thanks to my friend, Kim! She reminded me of our Judy Niemeyer Christmas tree skirt patterns and fabric that we purchase last year(?) and said she wanted to change her colours.  I've changed my Christmas colours over the last couple of years,too, so off to our favourite fabric store we went. Kim chose purples, pinks and black-purple while I chose shades of aqua and purple.  Both tree skirts have been cut out now and we have both completed Step 1 (Bag 1) of the 8 steps.

3 years ago, I was very fortunate to take a class taught by Judy Niemeyer herself, and I am so glad I did!  My Dragon Star quilt top is done, and the pieced backing is too, and I still count it as one of my UFO's.

Since that day a few weeks ago, I have done the following:
- pulled all my fabric/sewing totes out of the attic and unpacked 5 of them (4 to go)
- finished a diaper bag that I started 2 years ago when Alex was born - I'll put it away for Sarah or a baby shower gift
- added Alex's name to a quilt I started 2 years ago, and have started the final quilting on it.  I hope to have it finished by the end of November
- finished my pink scarf made from this yarn - I'm not sure if it is the colour "Chick" because I bought it in October during the Breast Cancer campaign and the special packaging doesn't give a colour name or number
- made 2 pairs of pyjamas for Alex from start to finish (in just 3 hours, a record for me) from a pattern similar to this one
- started going through my scraps and found Bonnie Hunter's method for dealing with them, so now I'm cutting strips and squares for future scrappy quilts and getting rid of the stuff I'll never use

Now I have to make a list of what I want to finish before Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! If you ask a question, I will reply here!