Long time, no blog!
It feels like it has been forever since I blogged, and when I looked at the date of my last post, sure enough it's been six weeks. A new baby, working extra hours to get caught up at work before leaving for a trip to Mexico, cancelling said trip because my brother-in-law has had a heart attack (and I was to be travelling with my sister and b-i-l), back and forth trips to the hospital (he's been moved to one almost 100 kms away, have all taken their toll on my energy level.
I am grateful for so many things: that we had the trip to Mexico booked, because it made my brother-in-law get "that nagging pain" in his chest checked out, that Expedia was incredibly understanding and cancelled our trip with 98% refund (we lost $75 per seat for the airline, and got everything else back), that he has a strong heart and even though his heart has been operating at about 40% for a number of years, it built its own pathways around the blockages, and even though it is hard waiting for the surgery, the attack did no damage to his heart and he is waiting for the surgery because he "isn't as sick as some of the others" on the floor.
First up, my stash report:
I have actually added fabric for the first time in months:
2.5 metres of flannelette and 1.5 metres of a superhero print for our annual pillowcases (I have 6 left to make), and 2 metres of solids for the Super Mario quilt and binding for crib bumper pads.
Added since my last report: 6 metres
Added Year to Date: 70.1 metres
And I have managed to get some sewing done, despite all the obstacles (sewing is my stress reliever):
Mya's quilt is finished and in the crib (check out those chubby cheeks!). Every time I see her, she is sleeping - but her mother assures me she has lots of awake time, usually starting at 3 a.m. Poor little tyke has her days and nights still mixed up. She's seven weeks today so it shouldn't be for much longer.
The finished quilt took 1 1/2 metres for the back, and 1/3 metre for the binding. I had fun with some free motion quilting - it is getting easier.
It's not perfect, but I'm happy with it.
I also finished a crib skirt, but since my daughter supplied the fabric, I didn't count it in or out. (Pardon the wrinkles, I was still pressing it).
I use snap tape to attach it to the crib base, which saves a lot of fabric. We stapled the other half with staples so it makes it also easy to take off for washing.
My sister and I had a sew day before my b-i-l's heart attack. We sewed a total of eight pairs of pyjamas and nightgown sacks - these are the ones I made for my grandchildren. My sister just became a grandmother again two weeks ago, her first granddaughter after 4 boys, so she was thrilled to sew something pink! I used 4 metres in all.
Lastly, I made a snuggler for the car seat. It has slits in it for the straps to fit through, so when you take the baby out, she will stay wrapped up. Perfect for this cold weather we've been having. It uses 2 metres of fabric, one for the front and one for the back -I lined it with the leftover minkee from the quilt.
Destashed since my last report: 7.9 metres
Destashed year to Date: 53.9 metres
Added for 2014: 16.2 metres
Total spent YTD $345.19= $4.92/metre
I just might break even this year! Check out Patchwork Times for more stash reports - I love watching people's progress.